Best known for her breakthrough role as Rey in the newest Star Wars trilogy: The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, and The Rise of Skywalker, Daisy Ridley has become the new face of the Resistance.
On the big screen, she plays an orphan scavenger who fights for what she believes is right while on a quest to find her true identity. While she might be playing a brave warrior who’s on the frontline in fighting an autocratic military dictatorship in a galaxy far, far away, Daisy Ridley has also been courageously fighting endometriosis and polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) in real life.
In a social media post, the actress reveals that she had been dealing with these reproductive health issues since she was 15 years old. She said that over the years, she has tried several medical interventions like laparoscopy (surgical procedure for abdominal organs) and medications but the pain has recently made a comeback.
In brief, endometriosis is a disorder that concerns the uterus (or the womb) where the tissue linings (endothelium, hence the name) grow and settle outside the uterus. Endometriosis is often very painful and the pain can be unbearable for some. PCOS, on the other hand, is a disorder concerning the ovary where a lot of tiny fluid-filled sacs or cysts develop due to a hormonal imbalance in a woman’s body. PCOS usually disrupts the normal menstrual cycle and can cause some pain and discomfort to those who are affected by the condition.
In the same social media post, the Star Wars lead actress admits that even though these disorders have greatly shut down her confidence, she encourages women around the world to continue the fight against these diseases and take care of themselves and their health with an inspiring line that goes “From your head to the tips of your toes we only have one body, let us all make sure ours our working in tip-top condition, and take help if it’s needed.”
The last five words from her quote are actually one of the best advice for women who are battling reproductive disorders: take help if it’s needed. There are speciality women’s clinics that can be found almost everywhere that are equipped with professional staff and well-experienced doctors to help you in every step of the way.
How can a women’s clinic in Singapore help me live a healthier life?
A women’s clinic in Singapore is a speciality clinic devoted to helping women live healthier lives. One of them is PK Women’s Clinic, located at 2 Tai Thong Crescent, The Venue Residences/ Shoppes in Singapore. Aside from the management of endometriosis and PCOS, PK Women’s Clinic has a long list of services designed to help women as early as the puberty stage to pregnancy journey to menopause (and even beyond menopause) have a better understanding and management of their reproductive health.
Speciality services from PK Women’s Clinic include:
- Women’s Wellness Screening – health screening for women of different ages (from the onset of puberty to post-menopausal stages). To determine women’s wellness, PK Women’s Clinic has these following test or screenings that patients can readily avail:
- general female health screening
- cervical cancer screening (PAP smear, cervical HPV screening)
- pelvic ultrasound scans for ovarian cysts and uterine fibroids
- sexually-transmitted disease (STD) screening
- breast ultrasound and mammogram (at designated centre)
At a women’s clinic, women with menstrual irregularities and disorders can also get services and treatment plans for their specific condition, given that there’s proper consultation, of course.
- Pre-Pregnancy Check-up and Fertility Screening – when you and your partner are ready to take the next step and decide to become parents and build a family, pre-pregnancy checkups and fertility screenings (for you and your partner) is recommended to help you better prepare for the pregnancy journey and help determine factors that can affect the success of getting pregnant and delivering the child safely.
- Pregnancy Care – pregnancy is not an easy journey. You will need all the help and support you can get from your partner, loved ones and medical professionals to ensure a safe and fuss-free pregnancy and childbirth. PK Women’s Clinic has the following services to help monitor your pregnancy from start to finish:
- Antenatal Care
- Ultrasound Scan and Screening Services
- Labour and Delivery
- Cord blood/ Stem-Cell Collection service for cord blood banking
- Family Planning and proper contraceptive use – include a broad scope of contraceptive services to help patients practice safe and protected sexual intercourse, eliminating the risk for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Couples who want to practice proper family planning also benefit from these services. Here’s a brief rundown of contraceptive and family planning service offered by PK Women’s Clinic:
- Contraceptive counselling
- Insertion/ removal of contraceptive devices
- Oral contraceptive pills
- Sterilization (Tubal Ligation)
- Management of female pelvic disorders such as female stress urinary incontinence (involuntary urine leakage), womb prolapse (uterus prolapse), vaginal wall prolapse (bladder wall prolapse, rectum prolapse) and vaginal vault prolapse can also be addressed at a women’s clinic.
- Surgical procedures for gynaecological problems – doctors at PK Women’s Clinic specializes in advanced gynaecological surgical procedures and are well-trained in performing vaginal surgery as well as minimal surgical procedures (laparoscopy) for common reproductive conditions like ovarian cysts, womb prolapse, and fibroids.
You are not alone.
Just like Rey in the latest Star Wars trilogy, you have people at your side fighting the battles with you. Always remember that you are not alone. You have your partner, family, and friends to support you in dealing with these sensitive and personal issues. To further help you achieve a proper diagnosis, treatment, and guidance, women’s clinics are there to help you with your journey. And thanks to women like Daisy Ridley who uplifts other women by using her platform to raise awareness of women’s health and encourage women to embrace self-care. With her inspiring message, we can definitely agree that the force is strong with this one.
PK Women’s Specialist Clinic
2,Tai Thong Crescent, #01-12,
The Venue Shoppes., Singapore 347836
+65 6636 9909