By: Winnie Tan
They may seem small and inconspicuous, but do not belittle the power of a good candle. Visually, they can add a glamorous and elegant touch to your home interior. Simple glass encased candles can be a minimalistic addition to your living room, highlighting modern simplicity and practicality. An interestingly designed candle, perhaps wrapped with African raffia or exquisitely shaped like an antique perfume container, can act as an eye-catching conversation starter. Once lit, the scent of a candle can envelope your space like a warm hug, or transport you to lands far away. Here are seven luxury candles you can’t help but stare at, and should really get a whiff of.
- The Baobab collection wants to transport you all over the world, and you don’t even have to leave your living room for that to happen. Named after Baobab trees in the African savannah, these candles aim to exude the spirit of the trees in size and originality. Steeped in mint leaves, vetiver roots, and ylang ylang, Baobab’s Manja candle will embrace you with the fruity sweetness of a pleasant summer night. As if the scent isn’t exquisite enough, the candle’s exterior is wrapped in hand crocheted black, natural, and gold raffia, making this candle an elegant, stand-out piece.
Available at Takashimaya.
- Receive a touch of sunny sophistication with Acqua Di Parma’s Yellow Candle from their cube candle collection. Yellow isn’t usually associated with elegance, but this Italian brand is well known for its signature bright colour and luxurious scents. Be whisked away into the warmth of the Italian sun with fruity overtones of lemon, orange, and bergamot. With aromatic notes of lavender and rosemary, and warm woody undertones of sandal and patchouli, you’ll be transported into exotic faraway lands in no time. Entirely handcrafted and embossed with the brand’s crest, this candle makes for a well-chosen decorative addition to any living space.
Available at Robinsons Raffles City, Takashimaya, and Robinsons The Heeren.
- After a life changing trip to Tanzania, ONNO’s founder created the brand to share her unforgettable experiences in Africa through scents. Emulating the mystery of the great safari, Ocher Eternity 60 radiates grassy tones with an earthy and herbal musk for a memorable olfactory encounter. Entirely handmade in Belgium, the candle is stored in a carefully hand-cut glass vessel. Once lit, the light of the candle reflects off the glass vessel’s multifaceted surface, bathing your home in enthralling shades of light.
Available at Robinsons.
- Add a dash of French charm to your living space with Maison Francis Kurkdjian’s candles. With an acclaimed history in luxury French perfumery, Monsieur Kurkdjian has an impressive portfolio of perfumes he has created for countless luxury brands, so you know we’re treading on some serious scent territory. The Anouche Scented Candle is light and sweet, instantly transforming your room into a French chateau with a fresh rose garden nearby. Encased in an unblemished white holder with a hint of pink, this candle oozes minimalistic chic.
Available at Robinsons The Heeren, and Escentials.
- The Alchemist’s Garden is part of Gucci’s luxury fragrance collection from earlier this year for the spring season, with the Virgin Violet candle being the only candle released in this collection. And talk about unique – inspired by the virtues of modesty and purity, the candle glows to reveal a gentle release of musk, violet leaves, iris petals, and vanilla. Housed in a white porcelain jar embellished with real gold accents, reminiscent of antique apothecary containers, this candle is the very enigma of sophisticated maximalism Gucci famously embodies.
Available at TANGS and TANGS online.
- Known for his provocative designs, you can bet that Tom Ford’s scented candles will also give off a strong, extra oomph. Be carried off to the Amalfi coast with the Mandarino Di Amalfi Candle, where you’ll instantly find yourself transported to a land of idyllic whitewashed villas and picturesque lemon trees. Have mint, thyme, and blooming wildflowers waft through your home – it’ll set the tone for an infinite Italian vacation.
Available at TANGS and TANGS online.
- For a distinctive scent with a quirky backstory, Cire Trudon’s Madeleine candle pays homage to the swashbuckling Madeleine de Maupin, who was a headstrong horsewoman, fencer, and risk taker in the 17th century. With scents of jasmine, iris, and rose accompanied by notes of handsome leather, this candle balances graceful femininity with unapologetic strength. The glass casing is handmade in Tuscany, printed with a chic emblem inspired by a bas relief that once belonged to the original Trudon family.
Available at TANGS.