Have you ever wished you had that picture-perfect smile as your favourite Hollywood celebrity? We are going to let you in on a secret: a lot of those smiles you envy have had cosmetic dentistry done.
It is hard to believe, is it not? But, it is true! As much as celebrated actors and actresses seem to have everything perfectly going for them, they are not exempt from getting bad teeth. Feel better yet?
There is not one person born with faultless teeth, we’ll tell you that. Common teeth imperfections that most people have are gaps in between, irregular shape, and discolouration. To fix this, patients can turn to veneers.
Before deciding to get veneers in Singapore, we suggest that you read this article by Dentist Designs to know more about the procedure and see whether it is the right solution for your teeth’s problem.
What are dental veneers?
Dental veneers are laminates made of porcelain material that are extremely thin. They work as “shells” that are placed over the front part of the teeth with the goal of improving its physical appearance. Dental veneers, depending on the teeth’s requirement, can alter their shape, colour, size, or length.
What is the usual state of teeth that will need veneers?
The following teeth imperfections can be addressed by veneers:
- Teeth discolouration – Teeth that have been stained due to coloured or caffeinated beverages, use of drugs that have tetracycline, or presence of a lot of fluoride can be covered with veneers that are of the same colour to make them look more aesthetically pleasing.
- Teeth that are broken or chipped – Broken or chipped teeth can occur as a result of injury or poor dental hygiene. This flaw can be hidden behind veneers.
- Teeth with obvious gaps in between – Gaps can be caused by a missing tooth or when an individual’s set of teeth are excessively small for the jawbone, a condition called diastema. To close in the space between the teeth, veneers are covered on the teeth.
- Teeth that are decayed – Decaying teeth can be saved and their appearance improved with the use of veneers.
What are the processes involved in getting veneers?
There are several processes involved in getting dental veneers. First, a thorough dental assessment and examinations are done to check your teeth. When the corrections needed are identified, a sample or mock-up of your new teeth will be created and presented to you. After which, your dentist will take a mould impression of your teeth.
Your dentist will then let you decide on the type of veneers you would like to use, basing on the material’s design, translucency, and colour. To protect the concerned teeth from further damage, temporary plastic veneers will be placed over them. This will also enable you to get used to the feeling of wearing the veneers.
The attachment of your custom-made veneers is then done as soon as they are available and you are fully-decided on getting them. Veneers can be irreversible, so it is a must that you do not have any doubt in having them fixed on your teeth.
Who are the best candidates for getting veneers?
You may exhibit teeth that could benefit from getting veneers, but this is not the only criterion when it comes to qualifying the best candidates for a procedure. Veneers are not recommended for individuals who have unhealthy teeth or gums and those who are prone to teeth grinding or clenching.
What are the different types of veneers?
There are two types of veneers: porcelain and composite resin. Of the two, porcelain veneers are considered to be more sturdy and permanent. As mentioned earlier, veneers can be irreversible. This is applicable to porcelain veneers. Part of attaching porcelain veneers to the teeth is the removal of enamel and cementing it permanently in place.
Composite veneers are applied in a different manner. They are placed on the teeth in layers and are then moulded to follow a specific shape. This type of veneers is recommended for improving chipped or crooked teeth. Unlike porcelain veneers, composite veneers are removable.
How do you take care of veneers?
Veneers need appropriate brushing and flossing the same way normal and healthy teeth require cleaning. Your dentist should give you aftercare tips to ensure that your veneers are properly cared for.
Which celebrities have veneers?
These celebrities’ perfect smiles are brought to you by veneers!
- Tom Cruise – Yes, you read that right. Tom Cruise had several dental works done before being a top gun in the entertainment world and an entrancing vampire in one Hollywood film.
- Jim Carrey – If you have watched Dumb and Dumber, you definitely should not have missed out on Jim Carrey’s chipped front tooth. Dental veneers corrected that imperfection.
- Ben Affleck – Before landing on huge roles and charming ladies all over the globe with his smile, did you know that Ben Affleck actually had buck teeth? You would not have known this fact if you did not read this article, right? Well, now you know that his smile was once not perfect at all!
120 Telok Ayer St,
+65 6221 8284