Ear Specialist Singapore – Suffering from hearing Loss? Learn from Whoopi Goldberg and visit your ear specialist now before it’s too late.

Ear Specialist Singapore – Suffering from hearing Loss? Learn from Whoopi Goldberg and visit your ear specialist now before it’s too late.

Yep, you heard it right, Whoopi Goldberg, a global movie star, suffered from hearing loss. You may wonder how it is possible for a star of her stature was not able to prevent the permanent loss of hearing due to extremely loud noises, given the fame and riches that she had. The actress has long since been openly sharing about her hearing loss, it was caught during a routine physical test.

Now, she wears two in-the-canal hearing aids because of it. This experience is the reason why Goldberg advises young people of the next generation to take better care of their ears and their overall ear health before it’s too late.

Hearing loss can’t always be prevented especially if we’re talking about ageing, but in the case of hearing loss due to exposure to loud noise, it can always be helped with the expertise of an ear specialist. This article highlights the importance of annual hearing checks from an ear specialist in Singapore.

What is an Ear Specialist?

Ear Specialist Examining Patient

You may have wondered how come there is an Ear Specialist if there’s already an Ear, Nose and Throat Specialist? What’s the difference between the two of them, and why is the need for the distinction? It turns out an ear specialist is an ENT specialist with a board-certified license that provides medical and clinical care to patients with ear-related disorders. He /she is a highly-trained doctor or surgeon who is adeptly trained in diagnosing and treating body-related diseases and injuries concerning the ear. For instance, an ear specialist receives more depth education or understanding about the physical aspects and inner workings of the ear.

An ear specialist may be referred to as an otologist or neurotologist, these specialists are ENT specialists that complete an additional two years of training (known as a fellowship) to better treat ear disorders like cholesteatoma and Meniere’s disease.

Otologists are experts in terms of diagnosing hard-to-treat or recurrent middle ear conditions as well as administering complicated ear surgeries. While on the other hand a neurotologist rather focuses on the neurological-side and inner ear concerns, including skull base tumours, implantable hearing devices like cochlear implants and bone conduction hearing aids, and balance disorders. Most ENT specialists who took a fellowship are trained as both otologists and neurotologists and can overlap in these fields of expertise.

What type of Ear Specialist do you need to see for your specific ear condition?

ENT specialist tools

With so many different titles, qualifications, and specialities, it can sometimes be difficult to determine the sort of practitioner to see for your particular ear or hearing issue. How do you know for example when to see an ear specialist versus an ENT? What about a neurotologist? Some experts are trained to deal with all your auditory and vision issues and here’s a simple overview to outline each of their specific roles so you can find a specialist who would fulfil your needs.


An otolaryngologist, also known as an ENT, is a doctor that specializes in the care and treatment of the area below the brain and above the lungs namely the ears, nose, and throat but except for the eyes. Otolaryngologists provide a broad range of treatments for ear conditions including hearing loss, ear infections, middle ear issues, swimmer’s ears, coordination disorders, tinnitus, cranial nerve diseases, and congenital disorders of both the outer and inner ear.

Reasons to see an otolaryngologist:

  • Changes in your hearing
  • Ear pain or discharge
  • Balance problems
  • Tinnitus or ringing in the ears
  • Concerns about your child’s ears
  • Middle ear infections
  • Surgery on structures in the head or neck
  • Other concerns related to the throat, sinuses, head, and neck
  • Regardless of their credentials or work setting, these providers are dedicated to your hearing and balance concerns.


Just like with the otolaryngologist, an otologist is an ENT specialist, that is more focused on the well-being of the ears and their related structures. For an ENT specialist to become a certified ear specialist they have to complete a 2-year otology fellowship that would allow them to provide medical and surgical care for patients with diseases and disorders that affect the ears.

Reasons to see an otologist:

  • Changes in your hearing
  • Ear pain or discharge
  • Balance problems
  • Tinnitus or ringing in the ears
  • Concerns about your child’s ears
  • Middle ear infections
  • Surgery on the ears and structures within the ears


Closely related to an otologist is a neurotologist. A neurotologist is a physician who is more focused on the neurological aspect of the ear. Neurotologists are specially trained to provide surgical care to the nerves that integrate the ear to the brain and nervous system to help find the root cause of a hearing or balance disorder. They offer surgical intervention for hearing disorders that are due to problems deeply ingrained in the temporal bone or base of the skull and work with neurosurgeons to address cranial nerve defects and diseases.

Reasons to see a neurotologist:

  • Surgery to correct complex hearing and balance issues that originate in the brain or nervous system

Right tools for the Job

Neurotologists or otologists are trained to use certain procedures and tools to prevent damaging important structures such as the brain or face nerves. A major medical centre located in Singapore like ENT Surgeons Medical Centre has specialists capable of providing treatments for those who have issues concerning their ear. They have state-of-the-art surgical techniques such as specialized and up-to-date operating microscopes that greatly increases an operation’s success rate and reduces the risk of complications. If you have questions regarding the ear, may it be the related conditions or available treatment that they offer, you may contact one of their top specialists: Dr Dennis Chua at #08-02 Mount Elizabeth Medical Centre Singapore 228510, or you may call (65) 6235-3886.


Dr Dennis Chua
3 Mount Elizabeth, #08-02 Medical Centre,
Singapore 228510
+65 6235 3886

You May Also Like